Saturday, October 17, 2015

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back
I believe performing is a lot about experience. Running scenes over and over again, getting comfortable with them. Failing and trying again. It is always two steps forward, one step back. One of the most important aspects for acting is repetition. Running scenes again makes it possible for you to try out different ways to act them out. You need to know your character, why is your character saying what he/she is saying? How would he/she say that? Trying out different thing and getting feedback is extremely important for learning to act. From staging scenes in class I am getting more and more comfortable trying out new things. It also helps me to determine how to act out specific emotions that I will eventually use in other scenes and plays. I am learning how to express myself on stage in different situations. Staging the entire scene, not simply doing what the director tells me to do, but directing ss a group gives me a better understanding of the scene and requires me to fully engage in every aspect of it. Watching others stage their scenes helps me building an opinion on what I liked and what I would have done differently.In addition to that it gives me ideas what I could have done differently in my own scene.
Due to my previous acting experience I know most of the basics such as not turning my back to the audience, upstaging or being upstaged and  projecting. Difficult for me is often speaking slowly and clearly. Though my accent has grown weaker over the three years I have spent in the US it is still audible. I sometimes struggle with difficult words or am not entirely sure about the meaning of the script. This makes it harder for me to get into character. It is always important for a good scene that all actors are seriously into it. There should never be insecurity on stage. Other important aspects to a good scene are that all the actors are clearly visible, no one is being upstaged, and audible, everyone is projecting. The actors should ALWAYS be in character and concentrated when onstage Once all these are fulfilled one needs to worry about if the scene makes sense and if it is entertaining for the audience. This doesn’t necessarily require the scene to be funny, it can also be sad, or romantic, but it is important that there is an aspect to the scene that intrigues the audience. To improve staging scenes in the future I need to speak slower and get more comfortable with language. I also have to make sure to always stay in character even when I am no talking and react more to what others are saying or doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment